Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Why Debian?

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Why Debian?
From: Greg House <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 18:10:03 -0500

> Debian does have a longer release cycle, so the current version is
> usually older then the current RedHat. But it uses that time to make it
> very stable and secure and ensure there are no major bugs in the system.

Seriously though, is a Debian release really all THAT much more stable then any
other distro?

> Debian 2.2 now has tasks you can pick and skip dselect. Also they have
> changed it so you can tell it what level of configuration to ask for,
> with the highest level set, I think it asked one question.

Interesting, maybe I'll download it and give it another spin.

> So you can get a system installed very quick now, but If you have a lot
> of software you don't care about the configuration, why install it? Why
> not spend the time to lean it out, and get rid of things you don't need,
> and get the things you do, to work right.

'Cause I have a lot of disk space and I'd rather have stuff installed that I
don't need then to come back later and have to install a bunch of stuff that I
wanted that wasn't installed (that's my complaint with Slackware...). I'm
interested in having something functional up and running as quickly as
possible. But my business is experimentation and testing, not running a server.
My personal preference runs along the same lines too, so my home machines tend
to get put together the same way. I don't have much time, but I want to mess
with this or that. I'd rather have a quick install 'cause it lets me mess with
the stuff I really want to deal with sooner. Doing installs isn't a big thrill.

> Thats it exactly Debian doesn't make you install tools and recommend you
> not edit the files, editing the config files give you the power to set
> options the GUI doesn't have.
>
> If your installing a server you don't need X, and you don't need a X
> installer that might not work with your video card and old monitor

Red Hat has most of the config tools available in a command line form or some
flavor. You don't have to run X to administer it. That would totally suck...

Greg