Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Blast it!

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Blast it!
From: Greg House <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 18:29:11 -0500

On Fri, 06 Oct 2000, you wrote:
> Sorry about spamming all of you with kmail. I just had to kill it and when I
> got it back up, it sent everything in sent-mail again. I am changing today.

Are you sure it's sending what's in sent-mail? Maybe stuff's getting left in
outbox (ie, it's not clearing it even though it's been sent?) That seems more
likely.

I'm sure there's a way to fix it. I've used kmail for almost a year not and
that's never happened to me.

I poked around and found that kmail stores your mail in a directory called Mail
(~/Mail). Check there and see what mail folders it has. It appears to have a
file named after the folder (for example outbox) that looks like a std mail
file, and also an index file named .folder.index (so, following the above
example, there's also a file .outbox.index). Check these files and see if they
look hosed. An empty folder is just an empty file, so if your outbox had junk
in it, you could remove it and touch outbox to create an empty file for it. The
index file has a header line and a line for each message. If you remove the
folder and create a new one, I'd edit the index file for the folder and remove
everything but the first line (which contains the version of Kmail). Perhaps
you can clean up and start fresh this way.

Greg