Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Intel i810 Graphics Support

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Intel i810 Graphics Support
From: Greg House <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2000 21:36:36 -0500

On Sun, 01 Oct 2000, you wrote:
> For those of you who we were unable to get graphics working with the i810
> chipset, this is what xfree86.org has to say:
> ---------
>
> 3.3.6:
> Support (accelerated) for the Intel i740 is provided by the XF86_SVGA server
> with the i740 driver, and for the Intel i810 with the i810 driver. The i810 is
> currently only supported on Linux, and requires the agpgart.o kernel module in
> order to use modes that require more than 1MB of video memory.
>
> 4.0.1:
> Support (accelerated) for the Intel i740 is provided by the "i740" driver, and
> support for the Intel i810 is provided by the "i810" driver. The "i810" driver
> is currently Linux-only, and requires the agpgart.o kernel module.

I must have missed the question about this, but I recently set up a couple of
systems with an Intel i810E MB and onboard video. It's supported in XF86 3.3.6,
which is included with RedHat 6.2, which is what I installed on this system,
BUT RedHat messed up and didn't include the agpgart module in the kernel they
distributed with v6.2.

If you're running RedHat 6.2 and can't get i810 graphics to work, check the
errata page at redhat.com (which will instruct you to upgrade to their packaged
2.2.16-3 (or 2.2.17) kernel, which includes the agpgart module that's required
to make that chipset work with XF86.

I've set it up on two of these machines now and it works great once you get that
problem fixed.

Greg