Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Loading network card module at boot time!!

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Loading network card module at boot time!!
From: Thomas Wallis <wallis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 11:48:22 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 22 Sep 2000, Mohammad Islam wrote:

> Hi Guys/Gals,
>
> Just installed RH 6.1 on my machine. The installation program did not
> ask for network card info and all that. So i loaded the ne.o module
> manually (/sbin/modprobe -a ne.o io=0x280) and then used ifconfig to
> bring it up. Now when i rebooted my box, i saw that eth0 was failed to
> initialize. I supppose i need to pass some type of boot parameters to
> kernel at boot time for my netcard (Io and IRQ) so that it will be
> iniliazed at boot time. How do i go about doing it? Or do i need to
> configure some file somewhere so that my netcrad will be up
> automatically at boot time?
>
> I would greatly appreciate your help. Thanks.
>
> Moe

        Is this an ISA PNP Ethernet card?  They are a pain under LINUX.
If it is ISA PNP then try pnpdump and isapnp.  I have a few of the ISA
NE2000s here.  The non-PNP ones work fine.  The PNP ones take extra work.
A few cards can be set via a DOS floppy to NOT use PNP.  If this card is
like this, that is a good idea.

If your machine is a reasonably new machine with PCI slots, I would try
something like a DLINK DFE-530TX, Linksys LNE100TX, Kingston KNE100TX or
Netgear FA310TX .  These are all 10/100 cards.  The DLINK uses (as far as
I remember) the Via-Rhine driver.  The others (from memory) use the Tulip
driver.  All these cards are in the $25-$35 range.  If your machine is a
486 or something that doesn't have PCI slots, I would try getting SMC
Ultras from various surplus outlets.  Avoid the ISA PNP stuff.

                        Have fun!

                        Tom W.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed here are my own and not those of WSU.

EMAIL address:  wallis@xxxxxxxxxxx    wallis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx