Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 2000:
[aclug-L] business plan concept

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: jobs@xxxxxxxxx, protin1art@xxxxxxx, wfp@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] business plan concept
From: Tom Hull <thull@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 14:58:16 -0500

Folks,

I've been sitting on an idea for a business plan, but I haven't pursued
it hard enough to get things going. I'd like to share some rudiments of
the plan, to see whether anyone out there is interested in collaborating
on this. In particular, I see a need for:

 1) Someone to flesh out the technology, including building prototypes
    of pieces, proving feasibility, identifying problems, etc.

 2) Someone to sell the business plan and run the business.

The concept is this:

 1) We specify a set of hardware, software, and services to create a
    firewall/server system that can be installed into upscale new
    housing construction. This includes wiring plans, so new houses
    are completely ready for supporting LANs, firewalled for CM/DSL,
    and have various other systems (e.g., security, heating/cooling,
    telephones) integrated.

 2) We develop a brand marketing program to promote this technology.

 3) We franchise the brand and technical/marketing specs to local
    providers, who work in conjunction with local construction
    companies to deliver the services. The franchisees, in turn,
    are required to invest in the company, which in effect acts
    as a co-op of the franchisees.

Backporting this technology to existing construction is an obvious
extension, but my feeling is that the market for new construction
is prime: people who want new houses want more modern things, and
there is a need among housing developers to differentiate higher-
end offerings, which this would do. It is also easier and less
constrained -- put the wiring you really want in before putting
up the walls and other obstacles. It is an easier target market
to define and communicate with (maybe 10k builders, as opposed
to millions of end-users).

Any interest in this? Please respond to thull@xxxxxxxxxxx. Thanks.

--
/*