Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Panasonic SCSI CDR Drive (Was Re: CDRW Drive)

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Panasonic SCSI CDR Drive (Was Re: CDRW Drive)
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 14:31:07 -0500

Panasonic made some non-SCSI CD-ROM drives... perhaps that's what you had
problems with in Linux?

BTW, I think there is support for them... it's under the "Non-standard
CD-ROM support" secton of the kernel configuration.

I've used one of those drives before... had it's on proprietary ISA card to
go with it :-)

On Tue, May 30, 2000 at 02:55:34PM -0500, james l wrote:
> On Tue, 30 May 2000, you wrote:
> > I'm closer, but I still lost :)
> >
> > I have found a couple others SCSI CDR's
> >
> > PANASONIC CDR7503 8X-RECORD/20X-READ SCSI INTERNAL RECORDABLE (Bare
> > drive)  for 145 @www.mwave.com
> > panasonic 4X writer and 8X reader (CW7502B) SCSI-Recordable Drive for
> > 102-106 on price watch.
> >
> > what has everyone head about ehither of these? I couldn't find much, but
> > everything seems pretty postive.
> >
> > Being SCSI they would work under Linux, Right?
> >

> Not neccesarally, but you would have a better chance.
>  looking at linux.com's hardware section, the cw7502 should work and I would
> guess that the other would work fine (but I have had some Panasonic CDs that
> I have never gotten to work, but they were earlier cd-roms).
>

> > "Wilner, Alden" wrote:
> > > Hey, how come Clint always gets all the good stuff?
> > >
> > > Actually, I've got a system just begging for that drive.
> > >
> > > Should we have a race, Clint?
> > >
> > > -- Alden Wilner

"Everything that can be invented has been invented." -- Charles H. Duell,
Commissioner, U.S. Office of Patents, 1899.