Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: re compusa and linux applications

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: re compusa and linux applications
From: Jeff <schaller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 18:11:31 -0500 (CDT)

If you're looking for a small-footprint program for viewing
information in a .DOC file, and you don't find or like mswordview,
try 'strings'
[schaller@lisa local]$ ls -l `which strings`
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root  root   13328 Feb  4 12:54 /usr/bin/strings*

There's also a little perl program somewhere that tries to parse
the word document type ... all I can remember now is that a guy in
Europe wrote it, and it uses a perl library called 'elmer'. If
you're curious, drop me a note and I'll search more bookmark files
:)

-jeff
--
On Jan. 17, more than 47,000 people marched on South Carolina's Statehouse to
protest the flying of the Confederate flag. What do you think? "If I were a