Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Using SQL in a C program

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Using SQL in a C program
From: "Clint A. Brubakken" <cabrubak@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 09:16:51 -0500

John Reinke wrote:

> I'm taking a database class, and we have a programming project which
> requires use of Oracle SQL. In order to use it within a C program, we need
> to run a precompiler called Pro C. It inserts all the appropriate calls to
> the SQL server into my code before compiling the complete program.
>
> I plan to do most of the work and testing of my program on my Linux box at
> home. Due to financial reasons, I will have to use MySQL instead of Oracle.
> ;-)  Does anyone know about using a precompiler for C programs that would
> work for MySQL? I'd like to be able to upload the code from my computer to
> the university system, and have it work with as few changes as possible.

I don't know if it has pro c included, but you can d/l a free
development copy of oracle. You just can't use it in a production
envoriment.

> Does anyone have experience using the same program on different SQL databases?

As for using the same program on different databases, yes but with JDBC
not Pro C. You might checkout freshmeat, and mysql.com and see if they
have a Pro C compatible compiler.

One caveat, mysql does not currently handle sub selects (i.e. "select
name from user where name_id = (select name_id from bid = bid_id = 123)"
)

> Thanks for any help,
> John

Clint Brubakken
Developer, Computer Science Services Group, LLC
President Air Capital Linux Users Group
Wichita, KS
cabrubak@xxxxxxx
---
LC: Your powers have grown weak, old man.
E:  Powers be damned.  I'm going to beat the snot out of you with this
    hammer.
[LC chainsaws ESR]
T:  Ohh, that is so sick!
DP: Oh my god, they killed Eric!