Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: netscape questions

To: <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: netscape questions
From: "Jeremy King" <jmking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 01:21:47 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Greg House <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, April 10, 2000 8:00 PM

> Why do they do that? Microsoft does that with Internet Explorer too and it
> makes it a pain for me.

I guess in a perfect world they would offer two download options.  I
actually
prefer the two part download when it gives me real configuration options,
but the
microsoft configuration options are pretty stupid.  At work I was trying to
download
something (Outlook, I think) and none of the three options allowed me to
strip
Internet Explorer out of the download.  What's included in IE that makes it
an
indispensable part of the OS, and an indispensable part of their email
client?
It isn't like they are making any money off of it...

> Oh yeah, and while I'm complaining... I tried to do the new Netscape at
work a
> couple of days ago and it downloaded the first part, but wouldn't do part
2. I
> think the problem is that it doesn't let me set up the proxy, so their
nifty
> config tool isn't getting past our firewall. Sucks. Why can't a download
be a
> download?

I got the download to work through our proxy with out any problems, but I
think
that it configured itself based on my mozilla M13 settings.  If you have to
download
mozilla first, you might want to just stick with mozilla and forget about
netscape
for now--there doesn't appear to be much difference other than the Netscape
name
and logo that's been slapped on it.