Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: netscape questions

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: netscape questions
From: Greg House <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 20:00:52 -0500

On Sun, 09 Apr 2000, you wrote:
>I know that the windows version requires you to do an
> initial download of a download configuration utility--that allows you to
> strip out unnecessary stuff like mail and composer without having to
> download the full package.

Why do they do that? Microsoft does that with Internet Explorer too and it
makes it a pain for me. I like to download things at work sometimes, where the
fast connection makes the download very quick and it doesn't tie up my phone
all night. Then I bring it home on a zip drive. Or if I download something for a
friend that's not network connected, again, for installation from zip. The
2-part download (with half done from some "secret" server which requires "part
1" to download.

Oh yeah, and while I'm complaining... I tried to do the new Netscape at work a
couple of days ago and it downloaded the first part, but wouldn't do part 2. I
think the problem is that it doesn't let me set up the proxy, so their nifty
config tool isn't getting past our firewall. Sucks. Why can't a download be a
download?

Greg