Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Repeat of virus warning

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: "'aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx'" <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Repeat of virus warning
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 07 Apr 2000 23:04:57 -0500

OK I think we have just about exhausted the standard options.  What
remain are:

 * a hardware failure (CPU overheating, memory problem, etc)
 * a bug in KDE
 * a bug in Linux
 * user error

I am inclined to think that it is not the third option and probably
not the second.  From your description, I also think it is not the
4th.  That leaves us with the first.  While this is an
unlikely event, in the words of A. C. Doyle, "When all other options
have been excluded, that which remains, however improbable, must be
the truth."  I can think of no other explanation.  If you were not
running your mail program as root, your mail program can not damage
your partition table.  Period.  (Barring some serious and totally
unknown root compromise, which I think is extremely unlikely.)
Further, if it were an attack, it would not be displaying "fdisk /mbr"
as this is not valid for Linux.

As far as KDE goes, the bug would have to be in a setuid program,
which I do not believe the mailer would be, so that pretty well
eliminates that option.

Therefore we are left with the hardware failure theory.  I have seen
hardware that has caused strange things to happen a few times a
month.  For instance, files that are present not showing on ls, or
processes randomly dying, or data corruption randomly occuring.  When
CPU, RAM, bus, or disk gives an incorrect result -- even just once --
all bets are off and the strangest of things can happen.

-- John

John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |