Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Repeat of virus warning

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Repeat of virus warning
From: phrostie <phrostie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 20:46:50 -0500

varicad is a 3D solid modeler/cad program.
i've been getting email from these people for years.
i've been donloading stuff from them just as long.

I can't beleave that they did this.
did you download the tag.gz or the rpm?

I'm guessing you were root during the install?
have you contacted them about this?
all my other question have been asked below

phrostie

John Goerzen wrote:

> I am a bit confused.  What is Varicad?  Why did you put it in /?  Were
> you running as root?  Can you send me a copy in private of the
> offending program?  what mail program were you using?  Who is "them"?
>
> "Michael A. Holmes" <maholmes@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > Since my first email is not showing up, I will repeat it.
> >
> > Now my linux box is totally down.
> >
> > last monnt, I downloaded varicad and put it in the root directory
>
> > Tonight I get an email from them.  When I opened it, a terminal window came
> > up and the follownig was in it.:
> >
> > >su
> > >my secret password was typed in and then accepted
> > root@/home/mike> fdisk /mbr
> > root@/home/mike>
> >
> > at this point, my hard drive went nuts.  I pressed the power button.
> > whent I rebooted, it went into linux, but could not find /hda9 or 10 my
> > /home and /stchuff drives.  Pine was the only email client I could pull up.
> >  I tried to send this email.  But I see it never made it.  Now windows is
> > the only thing left on the computer.  I cannot even get linux to come up.
> >
> > How the (&&*%^ can this happen. I though linux was bullet proof.  When I
> > put it in the root directory, did i give it root authority for some
> > hiddenscript??
> >
> > I am so pissed it is unreal.  I finally had sound and everything running.
> >
> > Mike

> > visit http://tmp2.complete.org/cgi-bin/listargate-aclug.cgi
> >

> --
> John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |
> Developer, Debian GNU/Linux (Free powerful OS upgrade)       www.debian.org |

phrostie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Oh I've slipped the surly bonds of dos
and danced the skies on LINUX silvered wings.
http://www.cottagesoft.com/~phrostie/cad-tastrafy