Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Perl Question!!

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Perl Question!!
From: Mohammad Islam <sohel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 02:25:31 -0600

"Clint A. Brubakken" wrote:

> if you want the file to remain being owned my you, you'll have to make
> it world writable. A better alternative is make it owned by nobody and
> your group, and make it owner and group writable

Hi Clint,

Thanks for the answer. This is what i did:

changed the owner/group of the my file so now it is owned by me, but group
nobody and me has read and write access.

(I did chown chalupa.nobody test.txt)

So it looks like this

rw-rw-r--    chalupa    nobody    test.txt (This file resides in user's
public_html dir - owner is chalupa/chalupa)

And i was able to write to the file from my cgi scripts. Does this pose a
security hole?

Can you recommend a good website or two for cgi security?

Thanks.