Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Perl Question!!

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Perl Question!!
From: "Clint A. Brubakken" <cabrubak@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 16:18:15 -0600

Mohammad Islam wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I want to write/append  to a file in my directory through a cgi/perl
> script. The data will come from a form, submitted via a post and then
> the script will append the data at the end of the file. Now i can open
> the the file for reading, but i am having problem appending to it.
>
> The file is owned by me (say user chalupa in /home/chalupa/test.txt) the
> permission looks like this:
>
> rw-r-r  chalupa   chalupa  test.txt
>
> (What do i need to change here?)

if you want the file to remain being owned my you, you'll have to make
it world writable. A better alternative is make it owned by nobody and
your group, and make it owner and group writable

> How can write to this file from my cgi-script without compromising
> security?
>
> I am new to cgi, so any help/pointer would be greatly appreciated.
>
> I am running apache on a Linux 6.0 box. Apache is running as user
> "nobody." I am using CGI.pm library.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Mohammed.

Clint Brubakken
Developer, Computer Science Services Group, LLC
President Air Capital Linux Users Group
Wichita, KS
cabrubak@xxxxxxx
---
N:  I don't think Java and Microsoft blend all that well.
CP: You'd better not be mocking me, coffee-boy.
                                        -- Nurse and Crud Puppy
User Friendly, 11/22/1998