Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: GNU utilities for Win32

To: "'discussion@xxxxxxxxx'" <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: GNU utilities for Win32
From: "Bates, Rod" <Rod.Bates@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 09:00:19 -0600

> > A quick check found that the Cygnus tools have been bought by Red Hat in
> > January, 2000, and are not free.  They also only run on Windows NT.
>
> Cygnus makes it hard to find zero-cost stuff, all the while touting free-
> as-in-libre. Now that Red Hat has hijacked their web site, this is all
> the more difficult/annoying. Try:
>
>   http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/

I just finished reinstalling cygwin on a new NT machine at work.
Downloaded everything, free.  I got a self-installing .exe of compiled
binaries--didn't have to compile.  The install went without a hitch.
(Aside from the usual Windows procedure that you have to reboot,
usually twice, after installing anything.)

There is a patch done elsewhere, which fixes some significant bugs.
It is nicely packaged in a thing called DroolView, which automates
a good bit of the supplementary installation.

For a good set of instructions, go to:

http://www.woodsoup.org/projs/ORKiD/cygwin.htm

P.S: Cygwin includes bash, which is immensely more pleasant
than the dos shell.