Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: GNU utilities for Win32

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: GNU utilities for Win32
From: Tom Hull <thull@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 00:29:56 -0600

Dale W Hodge wrote:

> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: tom@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tom@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Tom Hull

Anybody understand this? My address is thull@xxxxxxxxxxx. I'm using
Netscape 4.5, which seems to set X-Sender to tom (your side fills in
the domain name), even though Reply-To is thull@xxxxxxxxxxx.

I hate to say this, but I gotta find some mail programs that I can
understand: what they do, and how to make them do the right thing.

> > There's a much larger package of GNU utilities available from Cygnus,
> > called "CygWin32". It includes the GNU compiler/tool chain.
> >
> > There's another package that David Korn ported from the standard AT&T
> > UNIX distribution.
> >
> > As best I recall, both of these are free, although it will take a bit
> > of scratching to find them. (Don't recall the links.) I looked at both
> > a couple of years ago, but have pretty much sworn off Windows since
> > then.
> >

> A quick check found that the Cygnus tools have been bought by Red Hat in
> January, 2000, and are not free.  They also only run on Windows NT.

Cygnus makes it hard to find zero-cost stuff, all the while touting free-
as-in-libre. Now that Red Hat has hijacked their web site, this is all
the more difficult/annoying. Try:

  http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/

You should at least be able to get the source out of CVS. Also, if it's
all GPL, even if you have to pay for the first copy, you can legally give
it to all your friends.

  http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/uwin/

> --dwh

/*