Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: ADSL, SWBell & Linux

To: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: ADSL, SWBell & Linux
From: "Dale W Hodge" <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 14:11:16 -0600

> There are reasons other than IP space to go with PPPOE. The primary
> one is security. There are some fairly interesting security issues
> that come up with the bridged service. However, PPPOE is somewhat more
> complex to implement from the ISP side. Do you know what kind of
> equipment your provider is using to provision the service?

Would you care to elaborate on the security issues?  My understanding was
that since DSL is a point-to-point link, short of physically stealing the
line, only the home that is connected to DSL could use the link. The only
problems I can see, is that the link is indifferent to *who* on the other
end of the link was using it; whereas with PPPOE, a user must first be able
to log in before any data can be sent.

As for the equipment, they went with PulseCom (www.pulse.com). I'm not
exactly sure of the model of thier central office equipment, but my 'modem'
is an ADSL-8000. I'm fairly sure this link
http://www.pulse.com/products/wavepacer/bbsyscomp.htm will get you to the
specifics of what they are using.

--dwh

Dale W Hodge * dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx * dwh@xxxxxxxx * dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx