Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: procmail question

To: "'aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx'" <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: procmail question
From: Tony Scarpelli <tony@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 23:22:12 -0600

PLEASE UNSUBSCRIBE ME

On Wednesday, December 15, 1999 10:53 PM, glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[SMTP:glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
: On 15 Dec, Carl D Cravens wrote:
:
: > The .* is part of the pattern matching.  The dot matches *any* character.
: > The * says to match zero or more of the preceding character.  Because it's
: > likely that there will be at least a space between the From: and the
: > address, you'll have to account for that.  But the .* helps match things
: > like...
:
: Ahh...  now i understand...  that makes sense... i was thinking
: whoever@xxxxxxxxxxxx was the only thing in the From: field...  forgot
: about people's names! : ^ )  is the ^Sender: field different than the
: from field?  does Sender contain only the e-mail address?
:
: i don't quite understand the "." tho'...  i understand the "*" because
: of ls *blah*.txt things i do, but i don't quite get the dot...  i'm
: used to something like 'ls .*blah' showing up files like .1blah,
: .sdfblah, etc...
:
: > If you want to delve into the mind-bending insanity that is regular
: > expressions (i.e. "pattern matching"), try 'man 7 regex', which describes
:
: heading there as soon as i'm finished changing the icons in Postilion
: to be just like NeXTSTEP's Mail.app (obsesive, i know, but i like the
: looks)...
:
: > that it might be good to hit the man pages for procmail, procmailrc,
: > procmailex (procmail examples), and maybe procmailsc (if you want a full
: > view of what procmail can do, though you may not find scoring to be very
: > useful).
:
: been thru the examples in /usr/doc/procmail, but haven't browsed any of
: the man pages except 'man procmail'...
:
: thanks a lot, tho'...  give me some reading to do in my spare time! : ^
: )
:
: jesse
:
: --
: "If we don't stand up to Micro$oft, who will?"
:      - The Boycott Micro$oft Web Page
:
: http://www.boycott-ms.org/