Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1999:
[aclug-L] Unix administrator opening

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Unix administrator opening
From: Carl D Cravens <raven@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 21:25:24 -0600 (CST)

I've recently given notice at my current job (going back to the Big B,
this time in Boeing Computer Services instead of as a tool builder) at LSI
Logic (formerly Symbios), which involves HP-UX (one 4-cpu server, seven
workstations, numerous HP X-terminals), Solaris (one brand-new Enterprise
4500 with 6 CPU's), a little NT looking like it could become a lot of NT
in the next year or so, and a Debian Linux intranet webserver running
Apache.  (Guaranteed that they'll keep the Solaris machine... long-term
plans involve phasing out the HP-UX boxes.)  You'll get to work with RAID
boxes and Intelligent Storage Hubs.

(The above hardware has placed me at #1700 and still rising fast on
distributed.net's CSC competition.  And I haven't roped half the
workstations into the deal yet... that Sun Enterprise server rocks.)

This position is the sole "owner" and administrator of the above hardware,
backed up by one other administrator who has his own set of machines to
take care of for another department (whom this position backs up in turn).
There's a lot of autonomy in this position... keep things running smoothly
and nobody bothers you while you read Usenet.  There's very little
scripting here... the systems are already installed and stable with
several years of history, so primary administration involves installing
software updates and fixing file permissions for users who can't be
bothered to learn how to use Unix, despite working in it eight hours a
day.  Works with Mentor Graphics board layout software, which is a bit of
a bear.

Three weeks of vacation (use it as you earn it), nice benefits, casual
(jeans) dress code.  Will probably require a degree.

I have to admit that I was bored here.  I don't want to learn NT or
hands-on advanced networking, and there wasn't much in the way of
scripting.  The level of actual Unix administration was below my skill
level after having worked at SouthWind for three years and didn't offer
much in the way of Unix administration experience since the systems rarely
had problems.  The places I was being asked to grow in weren't my intended
career path.  I learned more about how to keep Mentor Graphics running
than I did Unix.

Job will open up the first week of 2000.  They haven't advertised this
position, since I just gave notice today... but I know they'll want to
fill it ASAP after I leave.  If you have questions about the position,
feel free to send me email.

--
Carl D Cravens (raven@xxxxxxxxxxx)
A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.