Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: Sun Box

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Sun Box
From: Carl D Cravens <raven@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 08:08:52 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, Bob_Deep wrote:

> Depends upon what's actually in the box and if it's all in working
> order.  Not having a monitor is not that big a deal (You can buy non SUN
> displays that will likely work), but the cables and such are going to
> set you back some bucks..

Since Sun has this weirdo connector with multiple mini-coax cables plus
the usual pins.  At least my Enterprise servers do.

> This is an *older* box and the performance is going to be a little
> better than say a low end Pentium, so it may not be worth much effort
> getting it working unless you want to play with Solaris or something...
> I'd either sell it outright to someone who wants it or take the peices
> out you can use and junk the rest.  You are NOT going to run Windows on
> it in any case...

Still fun to have.  And considering that up until last week I ran an
internet server (mailing lists, ftp, web/cgi) on a 486/133, a low-end
Pentium equivilent isn't a bad thing for Linux.

But if you're interested in Solaris, it's available for the Intel platform
for free.  (You might pay a media charge to get it on disc.  Of course,
when I order Solaris for Sun hardware, the media charge is a hundred
bucks, and that doesn't include the rights to run the stuff. :)

--
Carl D Cravens (raven@xxxxxxxxxxx)
Don't do dat, it hurts my wittle bwain.