Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: Linux open source projects

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Linux open source projects
From: Tom Hull <thull@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 1999 11:38:42 -0600

Jon's general advice below is good, but the projects he mentions may not
be the best. There is a huge amount of work that needs to be done based
on GTK+, particularly in the Gnome project. I imagine you could build a
whole career just in that nook. Take a good look at:

  http://developer.gnome.org/

Starting with "Getting Involved". You may want to start out by following
a small area, such as games or even screen savers. (Awesome screensavers
under Gnome, including at least one which hangs my system.) Sign up for
a mailing list or two, and just lurk to try to get a feel for what's
going on, who's doin what, etc. (You may find people on the list who're
quite happy to help you, but most folks on these lists are very busy,
up to their necks in mail as it is, and are only concerned with getting
their work done. If you jump in as an "absolute beginner", someone's
going to more/less rudely tell you to go do your homework first.) Try
to reproduce problems as they are reported, and debug them. (Learn the
debugging tools well.)

--
/*
 *  Tom Hull * thull@xxxxxxxxxxx * http://www.ocston.org/~thull/