Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: printer help...

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: printer help...
From: gLaNDix <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 21:11:48 -0600

Lowell Premer wrote:

> Jesse,
>      Do you still have access to your RedHat machine? Try duplicating
> the /etc/printcap file that it made for you.(I don't suppose you could've
> been lucky enough to've written it down anywhere, failing the above...)

2 problems w/ that idea...

1.)  i trashed redhat on my system, and installed Debian instead a while
back...  this is the same box i'm using, so i no longer have any of the
RedHat stuff....

2.)  i tried to get the settings how i had it in RH, but to no avail...
maybe this isn't the way to do it, but i installed the rpms of
control-panel, printtool, and rhs-printfilters and set it up just like i did
when i ran RH...  still didn't work...  if i remember correctly, it didn't
even print text....  is there a similar prog (printtool) for Debian that
allows me to setup my printer easily?  what printfilters should i use?  i've
heard APS Filter is one of the best (the printing-HOWTO reccommends it), but
it's really confusing to me how it sets up the printcap...  it has an ascii,
lp1, lp2, and lp3 (maybe more) in the printcap...  looks like it has one
"virtual printer" (so to speak) for ascii files, one for color ps, one for
b/w ps and some more (except for ascii, it seems to have a color and b/w one
setup for each other file (ie: ps))...

ideas???

jesse

--
"If we don't stand up to Micro$oft, who will?"
     - The Boycott Micro$oft Web Page

http://www.boycott-ms.org/