Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: OSS license/crack?

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: OSS license/crack?
From: "Clint A. Brubakken" <cabrubak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 10:16:51 -0600 (CST)

My neomagic card on my laptop is not supported by also but is by OSS/Free
from what it looks like the have no interest in supporting in the future
either

On Sun, 5 Dec 1999, gLaNDix wrote:

> ALSA supports quite a few  cards...  probably just as many as OSS...  my
> AudioPCI is supported much better by ALSA than by the kernel sound
> support...
>
> In fact, there has just been an ALSA Development Team named to get the
> API done and start work so it can be easily incorperated into the linux
> kernel...  the deadlines they gave were much sooner than the original 2.5
> devel goals they had...
>
> "If we don't stand up to Micro$oft, who will?"
>      - The Boycott Micro$oft Web Page
>
> http://www.boycott-ms.org/
>
> On Sun, 5 Dec 1999, Dale W Hodge wrote:
>

> > > heck, just use ALSA instead...  they are great, and are OpenSource!  : ^ )
> > > (www.alsa-project.org)...  and will soon be integrated into the kernel as
> > > the main snd drivers...
> >
> > FWIW, ALSA no longer supports the 2.0 series kernel, and since Alan Cox is
> > handling the OSS drivers with support from RedHat, I'm don't see ALSA being
> > included in the kernel anytime soon. ALSA's FAQ states it may be included in
> > the 2.5 development series, but is still a ways off.
> >
> > I think it really depends on your sound card and kernel version. The 2.2.x
> > kernel handles sound much easier than the 2.0.x series.  Whether you use the
> > kernel OSS drivers or ALSA will depend on what sound card chipset you have.
> > Some cards are better supported in ALSA, others in OSS.
> >
> > --dwh
> >
> > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> > Dale W Hodge * dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx * dwh@xxxxxxxx * dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >              -- www.neuralmatrix.org * www.dnd-automotive.com --
> >         -= Visit the Aclug Companion http://aclug.neuralmatrix.org =-
> > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Clint Brubakken
Developer, Computer Science Services Group, LLC
Dictator-for-Life Air Capital Linux Users Group
Wichita, KS
cabrubak@xxxxxxx
---
T:  Say, why are you using Linux to run this station instead of your own
    products.
LC: That would explain why this Death Orb doesn't have a reset button.
T:  It does now.  Three, in fact.  [click-click-click]
                                        -- Lord Crud and Tux
User Friendly, 12/24/1998