Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: OSS license/crack?

To: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: OSS license/crack?
From: "Dale W Hodge" <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1999 23:43:41 -0600

> ALSA supports quite a few  cards...  probably just as many as OSS...  my
> AudioPCI is supported much better by ALSA than by the kernel sound
> support...
>
> In fact, there has just been an ALSA Development Team named to get the
> API done and start work so it can be easily incorperated into the linux
> kernel...  the deadlines they gave were much sooner than the original 2.5
> devel goals they had...

I'm just going by what's on their web site:

"Current plans are to submit ALSA to become part of the official kernel
tree, but this may not happen until the Linux 2.5 development cycle. This is
due to the recent  feature freeze announcement by Linus Torvalds, the short
development cycle for Linux 2.4, and the current development changes in
ALSA. Linus has expressed that he wants all development for core linux
drivers to be done in the context of the kernel tree, which may be too slow
for this stage of ALSA's development. However, nothing has been officially
decided. "

It should also noted that while most OSS software works with ALSA, there are
notable exceptions:

" 3.4 What OSS programs have problems with ALSA?

-Multitrack 2.3
-Real Player G2 Alpha test for Linux reportedly has problems with some
 newer ALSA CVS builds. Recent Real Player G2 Beta works fine.
-Quake, Quakeworld, Quake2, and Quake3 test all require mmap() support.
 ALSA provides mmap() for cards that support it, but not all cards
 can handle mmap(). This is a design decision by ID software and cannot
 be fixed."

Another problem that directly affects me:

"3.16 Why doesn't my OSS mixer module load or OSS mixer work?

You may have the BTTV or other Video for Linux driver loaded or compiled in
the kernel. These drivers hook the OSS mixer and do not allow ALSA's OSS
mixer module to work correctly. Hopefully, these drivers will be modified to
fix this situation."

To me it's a case of a good idea that's not fully compatiable.  At some
point things will change.  For you it works great.  For me, it's a no go
situation.  Two of three machines here can't use it for compatability
reasons.  My suggestion is for one to check his hardware and software
against the known problems.  If you have no unresolved issues, then you can
use ALSA.  Otherwise one will have to stick with the kernel (OSS) version.

--dwh

Dale W Hodge * dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx * dwh@xxxxxxxx * dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
             -- www.neuralmatrix.org * www.dnd-automotive.com --
        -= Visit the Aclug Companion http://aclug.neuralmatrix.org =-