Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: Choosing a new motherboard

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Choosing a new motherboard
From: Steven Saner <ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 12:03:22 -0600

I have been real happy with my FIC VA-503+ board with that same
processor. It is a baby-AT formfactor, PC100-compliant, has 2 168-pin
SDRAM sockets and 4 72-pin DIMM sockets, 4 PCI and 3 ISA sockets (if I
remember correctly). It isn't a very automatic board (you have to do a
bit of jumper manipulation, but it isn't hard). At one time, at least,
AMD had this board on its recommended list for that processor.

www.pcprogress.com has the board for $85. I've had good luck with
pcprogress, but you might want to shop around.

On Mon, Nov 29, 1999 at 11:47:40AM -0600, Carl D Cravens wrote:
> I'm looking to buy a new motherboard/cpu/memory combo, planning on an AMD
> K6-2 400 (socket 7).  It's a headless server, so I don't need fancy video
> or any sound.  AT-formfactor, PC100-compliant 168-pin SDRAM, 100 mhz buss,
> 2-3 each PCI/ISA slots, UDMA IDE, auto-detection of CPU voltage is a plus.
> Linux-friendly, of course.
>
> Can anybody here recommend a quality motherboard?  I currently have a pair
> of ABIT Socket 7 (P233) boards that I'm rather happy with, but the company
> I bought them from no longer carries ABIT Socket 7 boards.  (Paragon Tech
> in Mahattan, KS.  Pleased with service and price, even if I did have to
> pay sales tax.  www.paragoncomp.com)  I want to know that I'm getting a
> good brand, a decent server-oriented chip-set without frills, and
> reasonable performance.  (Used to be that you could buy no-name
> motherboards and not worry about it.)
>
> Are ASUS boards any good?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Carl D Cravens (raven@xxxxxxxxxxx)
> I'm not lost, I'm "locationally challenged".

Steven Saner                            SouthWind Internet Access, Inc.
ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                    Systems/Network Administrator
http://www2.southwind.net/~ssaner       http://www.southwind.net
                                        263-7963 Wichita  (800)525-7963