Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: bash question

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: bash question
From: Tom Hull <thull@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 14:11:34 -0600

Aside from quitting the pager, you can run a shell command from
the pager command line. Usually this is ! followed by the command.
The command, of course, can be !bash.

You can stop a foreground job by typing ^Z (control key + z). You
can then run other shell commands. The command fg resumes the
last command that you had stopped. The command jobs lists any
jobs that you have stopped or backgrounded; it gives them a job
number, so you can refer to a specific job; e.g., fg %1.

You can also bring up another virtual console, by typing ALT-F1,
ALT-F2, ALT-F3, etc. (If you are running under X, these become
CTL-ALT-F1, ...; ALT-F7 or CTL-ALT-F7 brings you back to X.)