Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: bash question

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: bash question
From: Carl D Cravens <raven@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 12:50:16 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 28 Nov 1999, Ryan & Jen wrote:

> When a man page is invoked, how do a get back to the console I invoked the
> page from.  This is of course in the initial bash shell without any GUI.  At
> this point, I am going to tty2 and killing the process on tty1.
> Yes, newbie dimly lit wit question.  I am reading doc and find it very
> useful,  just thought I would cheat and ask the list.

When you do 'man something', you'll find yourself in a "pager", likely
'less' or maybe 'more'.  (More being the older of the two, less being the
better, IMO.  Which pager gets used can be controlled by setting your
PAGER environment variable.)  In either case, 'q' for quit will get you
out.  'h' will get you the help screen.

--
Carl D Cravens (raven@xxxxxxxxxxx)
ERROR: Unable to comprehend lame tagline.