Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1999:
[aclug-L] Monitor question

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Monitor question
From: Kurgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 04:13:59 -0600

Hey guys,

  I've got a couple large 19" monitors and am wondering if they will
  work for a linux box. Keeping in mind that at this point I'm still
  linux illiterate here goes anyway. The monitors are Cornerstone
  Color 19's and are fixed freq. They are wonderful DOS monitors, but
  don't really like windoze much because the only existing drivers
  ever made stopped at 16 bit support, which means they work for DOS,
  Win 3.11, and Win95 first release (supposedly). They only work with
  the vid cards that came with them, although I've heard rare accounts
  of them working on Win98 systems with a rare few of the newer 3d,
  high end cards. Cornerstone tech support told me that was a bunch of
  BS, but I've heard the story several times from different sources,
  so I dunno. Anyway, taking that they will work on a 16 bit system
  for granted, is there any chance of them working with linux? I'd
  planned on just setting up a DOS system and using one with it and
  selling the other, but would hold onto it if this'd work. I've still
  never set up a linux box so have no clue how drivers work as
  compared to Windoze. Considering the size of the monitors (not just
  screen size, they weigh in at about 75 pounds each) it's definitely
  worth looking into!

Best regards,
 Kurgan                            mailto:Kurgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx