Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: monitor repair

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: monitor repair
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 10:44:55 -0600

That clicking sound is normal, I believe.  The monitor I use does that and
the brand new one I have at work does that, too.

On Wed, Nov 10, 1999 at 09:10:57AM -0600, Maverick, Ven-Han Ieong wrote:
> I wonder if the monitor can be adjust or not, the top side and the buttom
> is working fine, but the center is not, it seems kind of shaking and
> fuzzy. And when the monitor switch from lower resolution to higher
> resolution( from console get into X windows), the monitor got "click"
> sound, it happens when the monitor power up too. Is the the tube is too
> old? is that possible to get fix? please help,
>
>                               Thanks.
>                                               Mav
>
> On Wed, 10 Nov 1999, Michael Holmes wrote:
>
> ->I used to own an electronics shop.  If you are adept at appliances (this is
> ->dangerous--> do not attempt if you are not sure) THERE IS 15,000 TO 30,000
> VOLTS
> ->PRESENT (DEPENDING ON YOUR SIZE) INSIDE THE CASE.  IT WILL KILL YOU IF YOU
> GET
> ->INTO IT!!!
> ->
> ->Now all that aside, the fuzziness is the picture tube getting old. There is
> ->usually a focus control on the high voltage (trippler) transformer inside.
> It
> ->will be marked FOCUS or F   There is another one usually there also marked
> G2( DO
> ->NOT MESS WITH THIS ONE IT WILL RUIN THE PICTURE TUBE IF MISADJUSTED!! )
> ->
> ->The focus adjustment is located on the big square object with a wire coming
> out
> ->of the top to the back of the picture tube. THis is the HVIT, on the back
> of it,
> ->will be the two adjustments, if one is not marked with F OR FOCUS, do not
> mess
> ->with it, as one will be the G2 control, (this adjust the voltage on the
> grids of
> ->the guns) THe focus should not have to be moved more than 1/8 of a turn.
> MARK
> ->WHERE YOU START if you are turning and the focus of the screen is not
> sharpening,
> ->then stop and return it back to where you started.
> ->
> ->I cannot stress how dangerous the voltage inside is.
> ->
> ->Michael Holmes
> ->
> ->John Phillips wrote:
> ->
> ->> I can probably adjust it.
> ->> John Phillips
> ->>
> ->> On Tue, 9 Nov 1999, phrostie wrote:
> ->>
> ->> > let me know what you find out.
> ->> > i have a nec that i'd like to get fixed.
> ->> >
> ->> > phrostie
> ->> >
> ->> >
> ->> >
> ->> >
> ->> > "Maverick, Ven-Han Ieong" wrote:
> ->> >
> ->> > > Hi all,
> [...]

  Jonathan Hall  *  jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx  *  PGP public key available
 Systems Admin, Future Internet Services; Goessel, KS * (316) 367-2487
         http://www.futureks.net  *  PGP Key ID: FE 00 FD 51
         -=  Running Debian GNU/Linux 2.0, kernel 2.0.36  =-