Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: "Beowulf" progress

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: "Beowulf" progress
From: Jeff <schaller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 09:08:01 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 29 Oct 1999, Jeffrey L. Hansen wrote:

> What is the story behind the stack of equipment???

They represent the trailing edge of technology (that linux'll run on).
The Plan is to network them together and use them as a parallel
processing BEHEMOTH.  Or something.  If they end up as powerful as the
P200 server they're going to hang off of, I'll be happy.  I powered
one of the 486s up and booted with a little mini bootdisk and checked
the BogoMIPS:  6. I haven't looked at the token 386 yet :)

And if I get one more, my girlfriend is going to kill me! (I really
shouldn't ask, but does anyone have any 486s or SIMM memory for them
that they want to part with? I'll name the node after you if you like)

-jeff
--
Utility is when you have one telephone, luxury is when you have two,
opulence is when you have three -- and paradise is when you have none.