Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: lilo help

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: lilo help
From: "Clint A. Brubakken" <cabrubak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 09:41:30 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 20 Oct 1999, Wayne White wrote:

> Well, I finally got the new laptop running RedHat 6.0
> with the 2.2.5 kernel. Now I would like to change lilo
> so that winblows is the default OS. I have tried to
> change it and keep getting errors.
>
> Currently lilo.conf is as follows:
>
> boot=/dev/hda
> map=/boot/map
> install=/boot/boot.b
> prompt
> timeout=50
> image=/boot/bzImage
>       label=linux
>       root=/dev/hda6
>       read-only
> other=/dev/hda1
>       label=win
>       table=/dev/hda
>
> This lilo.conf works fine and sets up linux as the default
> and will boot winblows if it is selected at boot. However,
> if I change it to the following:
>
> boot=/dev/hda
> map=/boot/map
> install=/boot/boot.b
> prompt
> timeout=50
> image=/dev/hda1
>       label=win
>       table=/dev/hda
> other=/boot/bzImage
>       label=linux
>       root=/dev/hda6
>       read-only

The problem is image means a kernal image, other means other os

so your saying boot this linux kernel located at /dev/hda1
and boot this other on the device /boot/bzImage

all you need to do is list window first, so put these lines :

> other=/dev/hda1
>       label=win
>       table=/dev/hda

before these lines:

> image=/boot/bzImage
>       label=linux
>       root=/dev/hda6
>       read-only

just a quick cut and paste

> With this lilo.conf when I run lilo it adds win*, but reports
> an error at about line 8. With this situation nothing boots.
>
> What am I doing wrong, other than wanting winblows as the
> default? How do I fix it?
>
> Thanx,
>
> Wayne
>

> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of
> servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go
> home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms.
> Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your
> chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that
> ye were our countrymen. -- Samuel Adams, speech at the
> Philadelphia State House, August 1, 1776.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Clint Brubakken
Developer, Computer Science Services Group, LLC
Dictator-for-Life Air Capital Linux Users Group
Wichita, KS
cabrubak@xxxxxxx
---
"Eric also holds a black belt in Tae Kwon Do and shoots pistols for relaxation,
His favorite gun is the classic 1911-pattern .45 semiautomatic"

  -- Chris DiBona on neo-renassaince Homo Heileinias Eric S. Raymond. (Open
Sources, 1999 O'Reilly and Associates)