Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: Gnome Core Dump

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Gnome Core Dump
From: Jeff <schaller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 22:02:32 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 12 Oct 1999, Nathan & Jenny wrote:

> indicating a core dump.  I'd be willing to bet it's close to the
> source of my problems.  What does the core dump mean?  I tried to
> open it up with GEdit, but it's unreadable.  How do I fix it?

Allow me to be cynical for just a sec -- I don't like Gnome ;)

Ok.

A core dump is the result of a programming running and crashing.  It's
a capture of the programs part of memory when the program died.  There
are utilities (gdb) to load it up and investigate the cause of the
crash. If the program was compiled in a certain way (with debugging
symbols included and not stripped out), then you can tell even more
from it.  _Usually_ people just delete them, call it a fact of life,
and move on.  If you're really interested in tracing down the problem,
take a look at gdb.

Oh, most editors will barf on a core file because it's just binary
data.

er, did that answer your question?  Did I raise more? Ask away :)

-jeff
--
Lady:          So, why would you like to be a bigger brother?
Homer's Brain: Don't say revenge, don't say revenge.  -- "Revenge."