Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: Mail server and proxy account at Southwind.

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Mail server and proxy account at Southwind.
From: Ryan Claycamp <claycamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 16:06:11 -0500

"Bryan A. Nelson" wrote:

> > The store and forward solution wouldn't work for us, but I got a
> > fetchmail/procmail solution working.  Root uses fetchmail, through cron,
> > to pull all our mail from Southwind.  Fetchmail then sends the mail
> > through procmail, which sends each message to the appropriate local
> > mailbox.  I used cron so I can have the server check for mail less often
> > than during business hours.  If people are interested, I can post the
> > fetchmail and procmail configure files.
> >
> > Ryan
> >

> i'd be interested to see what you did.  also, what about mail going the
> other way (out to the internet)? how did you setup sendmail, or did you use
> something else?
>
> bryan

Here is the fetchmail file (password erased) with comments after colons:

set syslog : Logs information to syslog

defaults
        user gaproxy is ryan here : User at Southwind is ryan locally
        fetchall : fetch all the messages

poll mail.southwind.net protocol POP3 : Talk to mail.southwind.net using
POP3 protocol

mda "formail -s procmail" : Send messages through procmail

Here is part of the procmail file:

MAILDIR=/var/spool/mail
DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/ryan
LOGFILE=$HOME/procmail.log

:0:
* ^TOclaycamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ryan

I used Jeff's procmail demonstration messages to work out my procmail
problems.  The line above looks at the TO field and dumps the message to
my mailbox.  I use similar lines to get mail to the rest of the
employees.

The mail server is running Debian 2.1, so I used the recommended mail
program for Debian, exim.  To get mail out of the company, I ran
eximconfig and selected option 2, Internet site using a smarthost.  I
used the defaults and inputted mail.southwind.net when it asked me for
the smarthost.  I also added all the local computers when it asked for
the local machines I want to relay mail for.

Ryan
--
Visit the Guernsey Aviation web page - http://www.guernseyaviation.com/