Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: Typical computer stuff

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Typical computer stuff
From: Michael Holmes <maholmes@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 23:01:02 -0500

"James G." wrote:

> Nathan & Jenny wrote:
>

> > 1.  What's the deal with the maximum mount count on hda8?
> >

> Like in a previous answer, this is normal (see: man fsck [file system check
> command].
>

> > 2.  Does anyone know how to fix the Gnome shutdown command so that it
> > seems?
> >

> I've been using Gnome with great success for months but have recently run into
> the same problems as you. I think it may be a bug in the way Gnome logsout of
> a session. One possible cause is that when  you max out your /home partition
> (fill it up with no free space), Gnome can't write to config files and
> something goes wrong in that it can't recover. Use the "df" command and make
> sure no partitions say "100%" used. If maxed out, start deleting things you
> don't need.

I too have been having problems with this, and my df shows a max of 75 % on any
of
my drives.  I did not have any trouble until I installed star office, and it had
me changing my Java files.  This may be the problem, but I too am waiting on the
latest copy of debian to arrive, and then I am doing a redo.  I will keep my
/home
& /stuff and just rebuild all of the rest.

> To reset Gnome, at root console do:
> telinit 3      (ctrl-alt-F1.    Try to log out of X first.)
> startx   (then logout again)
> and:
> telinit 5  (to go back to the graphical login screen)
>
> This seems to reset Gnome  (without changing config files). Another thing to
> try would be to delete the Gnome config files and start all over (I haven't
> tried this).
> I will do this at  least until I upgrade to the new version (red hat 6.1).
>

> > 3.  When I get the error message about /root/.netscape/lock, what can I do
> > to reset things back to normal?  Delete that file?
> >
> > 4.  Is there an easier way to tell my modem to call the ISP?  I'd like to
> > be able to open netscape, and have the modem do it's thing automatically.
> >

> use KDE's "kppp" program. It's a MS Windows "like" program that really works.
> kppp works in Gnome also with no problems. I'm not sure if you can make it
> automatic, if not it's still easy to use.
>

> > Thanks in advance for your help,
> > Nate Cozzens
> >
> > Learning Linux for relief.  Still waiting, but hopeful.
>
> There's a new book out called "Learning Red Hat" by O'Rielly. Looks good. I
> haven't purchased it though. I have bought the new book: "Linux Network
> Server- 24 Seven" by Sybex. Its written by Craig Hunt and looks very good. It
> uses Red Hat a lot and has examples using the Linuxconf command. He goes into
> installation and ppp as well as the normal networking stuff.

I also liked Linux for dummies, and teach yourself linux in twenty four hours.