Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: Typical computer stuff

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Typical computer stuff
From: "James G." <jamesga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 09:54:58 -0500

Nathan & Jenny wrote:

> 1.  What's the deal with the maximum mount count on hda8?

Like in a previous answer, this is normal (see: man fsck [file system check
command].

> 2.  Does anyone know how to fix the Gnome shutdown command so that it
> seems?

I've been using Gnome with great success for months but have recently run into
the same problems as you. I think it may be a bug in the way Gnome logsout of
a session. One possible cause is that when  you max out your /home partition
(fill it up with no free space), Gnome can't write to config files and
something goes wrong in that it can't recover. Use the "df" command and make
sure no partitions say "100%" used. If maxed out, start deleting things you
don't need.

To reset Gnome, at root console do:
telinit 3      (ctrl-alt-F1.    Try to log out of X first.)
startx   (then logout again)
and:
telinit 5  (to go back to the graphical login screen)

This seems to reset Gnome  (without changing config files). Another thing to
try would be to delete the Gnome config files and start all over (I haven't
tried this).
I will do this at  least until I upgrade to the new version (red hat 6.1).

> 3.  When I get the error message about /root/.netscape/lock, what can I do
> to reset things back to normal?  Delete that file?
>
> 4.  Is there an easier way to tell my modem to call the ISP?  I'd like to
> be able to open netscape, and have the modem do it's thing automatically.

use KDE's "kppp" program. It's a MS Windows "like" program that really works.
kppp works in Gnome also with no problems. I'm not sure if you can make it
automatic, if not it's still easy to use.

> Thanks in advance for your help,
> Nate Cozzens
>
> Learning Linux for relief.  Still waiting, but hopeful.

There's a new book out called "Learning Red Hat" by O'Rielly. Looks good. I
haven't purchased it though. I have bought the new book: "Linux Network
Server- 24 Seven" by Sybex. Its written by Craig Hunt and looks very good. It
uses Red Hat a lot and has examples using the Linuxconf command. He goes into
installation and ppp as well as the normal networking stuff.

James G.