Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: Newbie's Modem Installtion problem

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Newbie's Modem Installtion problem
From: Curtis Hawthorne <cghawthorne@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1999 08:09:13 -0700 (PDT)

--- phrostie <phrostie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> before you do anything drastic check to see where
> your ppp is looking.
> /dev/modem?
> /dev/cua1?
>
> mine is really /dev/cua1 but there is a sysbolic
> link to /dev/modem.
> most redhat based systems use this link.
>
> there is a utility modemcfg or something like that
> you can use to help set this up.

I have heard that it used to be the /dev/cua? was for
dialout and /dev/ttyS? was only for dialin (or maybe
backwards), but that the /dev/cua? devices are now
being phased out, and that the /dev/cua? and are now
the same as /dev/ttyS?.  If your modem is on "com 2"
in dos/windoze, as many are you should set the link to
"/dev/ttyS1".  If you are in X and type in
"control-panel" in an xterm, there is a modem utility
you can use to link your /dev/modem device to wherever
you need it.  To see if Linux is actually talking to
your modem a good utility is "minicom".  You have to
be root to run it the first time and be sure that your
/dev/modem link is set.  If that doesn't work, you can
always try a "echo ATZ > /dev/ttyS1" and see if you
can hear the "click" when it resets.

Also, when you get your modem set up, a good utility
to connect to the net is wvdial, it makes things a lot
easier!

> ccwoo wrote:
>
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I am new to Linux and just got a copy of RedHat
> 6.0 up and running recently. However, I can't do
> much with Linux without internet connection.  I've
> been having problem to have my modem up and running.
> > I suspect my os can't even talk to the modem, how
> do i know if my modem is properly set up ? If so,
> how do i configure Linux to connect to the ISP ? I
> tried minicom but didn't know how to use it...shame.
> >
> > My modem's model :  ISA pnp 56k USR voice internal
> v90.
> >
> > I've already disabled pnp with jumper settings and
> the modem works fine under win98.  But in Linux, i
> can't even get it to dial when i tried to activate
> it using netconfig in Control Panel.
> >
> > Your help is very much appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > chen
>
> --
> phrostie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Oh I've slipped the surly bonds of dos
> and danced the skies on LINUX silvered wings.
> http://www.cottagesoft.com/~phrostie/cad-tastrafy

=====
|  Message Sent By:               | "Backup?  We      |
:  Curtis Hawthorne               :  don't need no    :
|  E-mail: cghawthorne@xxxxxxxxx  |  stinking bac%X^~ |
:  Web: http://i.am/cghawthorne   :  ,VbKx!3f$/*`n(>& :
|  UIN: 13642244 (ICQ #)          |  NO CARRIER"      |