Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: Which X is your favorite

To: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Which X is your favorite
From: "gLaNDix" <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 02:14:58 -0500

>Red Hat seems to prefer Gnome.  What type of Windows is easiest to use?
> Which one seems to be everyone's favorite?

ok, first of, i'm assuming you mean Window Manager, like everyone else has
said...  second of all, GNOME isn't actually a window manager in and of
itself... it is a "Desktop Environment".  the difference is:  a window
manager manages the look and feel of the windows, tool bars (like
AfterStep), docks/clips (like WindowMaker), etc...  a desktop environment is
a group of applications and accessories that all work well together, and
share things in common, in order to provide a consistant desktop.

that being said, GNOME can work w/ almost any window manager (some better
than others).  Enlightenment is probably what RedHat uses w/ GNOME, since
Enlightenment seems to have been designed with GNOME in mind. however, this
is changing, since Rasterman (the creater of E) has added KDE support, and
is trying to break free from E's total integration with GNOME.

KDE is another desktop environment (the K Desktop Environment)...  it comes
w/ it's own windowmanager (kwm), and uses Qt as it's widget set (as compared
to GTK+ for GNOME)...

another more recent desktop environment that is still in major development
is GNUstep... it's goals are to impliment the OPENSTEP API created by NeXT
but under a GNU liscence...  it's official window manager is Window Maker, a
windowmanager designed to have a NeXTSTEP look and feel, and uses the WINGs
widget set...  this is personally my favorite, because it is EASY to
configure (all via gui, unlike AfterStep and soem of the others), and it is
pleasing to look at and use...

>I've never played with the RPMs before, but I wouldn't know how to
>uninstall Gnome and replace it with anything else.  Are there any other
>types of X on the RH 6.0 cd?

actually, you don't have to remove GNOME to try something else...  you can
edit your .xinitrc or .xsession file(s) to have it load a different
combination of windowmanagers and desktop environments...  there are also
programs that will aid you in changing from one wm..

hope this helps you out...  if you have any other questions, feel free to
e-mail me!

jesse