Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: starting pppd by a normal user

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: starting pppd by a normal user
From: Jeff <schaller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 07:03:22 -0500 (CDT)

Before 7am On Wed, 22 Sep 1999, Jeff wrote:

> > if you only wanted a user, 'gina' to be able to do (for example)
> > "pppd and killall pppd" commands, how would you phrase the 'sudoers'
> > command line?
>
> Here's mine:
>
> schaller ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: /usr/local/bin/ppp ?*
>
> The "?*" is so that I can give an argument to 'ppp' (like 'start' or
> 'stop').  You need to put the full path of the command that they're
> going to run, so
>
> schaller ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/killall pppd

So to put that all coherently together:

gina ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/killall ppd,/usr/local/bin/ppp ?*

(or wherever you put the pppd/ppp script)

You can change (ALL) to (root), too.  It's who they can run the
command as (by default root).  The NOPASSWD is handy for a home
system.  If it asks for a password on the 2nd command, put a NOPASSWD:
before it, too.

-jeff, slightly more awake
--
You want the truth?  You can't handle the truth!  No truth-handler, you.
I deride your truth-handling abilities. --Sideshow Bob