Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1999:
[aclug-L] starting pppd by a normal user

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] starting pppd by a normal user
From: j m wagle <jmwagle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 12:12:09 -0500

Please excuse a newbie question.

I am using redhat 5.2 but I set up my ppp connection (to
southwind.net) exactly as John states in the 'how to', namely I used
made the following files:

/etc/ppp/pap.secrets
/etc/ppp/southwind.chat
/etc/ppp/options

it works great. I start the connection by logging on as a super user
and executing the following pppd:

/usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttyS3 115200

my question:
can I start this with a bash file from a 'normal' (not operator or
'super') user?  everything I have tried has failed with the
following message:

 must be root to run /usr/sbin/pppd, since it is not setuid-root

...end of cryptic message...

I have made the program pppd and all the files readable by all
users.

What am I doing wrong?

thanks in advance,
mike wagle,