Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Canceling a System Startup Process...

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Canceling a System Startup Process...
From: Wayne White <wwhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 18:58:28 -0500

At 04:42 PM 08/31/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>Hey all.  I have been experimenting with the Icecast Mp3 broadcast software
>( www.icecast.org ).  Anyways, I am running Redhat 6.0 and I installed
>Icecast via the RMP given to download.  Now, I restarted my linux box and
>came to a weird conclusion, it won't load.  After everything is all started
>up, it sits there and does nothing at the prompt 'starting icecast ->'
>letting you type there.  I have tried typing various commands, as maybe it's
>to load something, but no luck.  I tried simply typing quit, kill, logout,
>and even my remote admin password for the server, but no such luck.  I was
>wondering how I would go about killing that process while it's sitting
>there.  I can't get into my linux box when it just sits there and does
>nothing.  Thanks for any help you can give me, I really wanna get this Mp3
>server running :)
>
>See ya.
>----
>Bob Bonifield
>Email:  augur@xxxxxxxxxxx

Bob, you might try 'Ctrl C' that may stop the process.

If it doesn't you could open another terminal and kill the
process there. If you're not in X, do a 'Alt F2' to get
another shell, log in, run ps -x and then kill the offending
process.

I'm sure that if I'm wrong on this or anyone has a better
idea they will let us know.

Good luck,

Wayne

Just allow a fragment of your life. . .