Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Thanks and another question

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Thanks and another question
From: Carl D Cravens <raven@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 01:46:35 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, Clint A. Brubakken wrote:

> It depends on what your (Linu|Uni)x knowledge is. I took WSU's Intro to
> unix my 3rd semester at WSU, after I'd been using Unix for programs for
> almost a year, so I knew a lot of it.

By the time I took Unix Intro at WSU, I was already qualified to teach it.
:)

> That said, I liked it for what I didn't already know (Shell Scripting),
> but I could have easily learned it by reading a good Unix book (like
> maybe Unix in a nutshell)

The text book we used was a great introduction, I think... Unix for Users
and Programmers.  It starts light-weight, but it still has serious stuff
for the more advanced.  I think they decided not to use this book, though.
(And it's a real text book, with real text book prices... I think it's
nearly fifty bucks.)

> I also took Advanced Unix, which was programming in Unix, and I learned a
> lot in there, and would recommend a similar class to any geek.

Advanced Unix is a C programming course... not for the casual home user.
(Unless you *want* to write your own command shell and things like that.)

--
Carl (raven@xxxxxxxxxxx)