Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] New Installation

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] New Installation
From: phrostie <phrostie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 06:25:53 -0500

what he said!

but i like cfdisk (personal opinion)

Michael Holmes wrote:

Dariush Zahedi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a Red Hat 5.1 which I want to install on my NT system. I have an
> unused partition D: of 3.1 GB which I can utilize for this. I've gone thru
> the guide but it is very confusing. Do I have to make seperate partitions
> for all the components or just two, for swap and the rest? In case of
> seperate partitions how should I divide the space? What you would have done
> based on your experience? Can someone tell me a step by step procedure? My
> system configuration is PII 350MHz, 64MB, 6.2GB IDE.
>
> Thanks
> DZ
> Please only use this address <zahedi@xxxxxxx>

The books says you should make a /swap (type 83) equal to your ram (if you
have the hard drive space---which  you do many times over)
You got to have a  ' / '    directory
It is also nice to have a separate  '/home' directory.  [this way if you screw
up the install, you can re-install and not format the /home and it will be
there just like you left it; after you re-install{this I really know about, as
I have been playing, and have blown the install several times!!}]

My suggestion would be:
    type 83  /swap   64 meg
    type 82 /             1500 meg
    type 82 /home    1600 meg (or what ever is left over)

You can get fancy and start naming stuff, but the book says you can get away
with  '/swap'  &  '/ '  and the computer will do the rest.  But in that case,
all of the data in /home will get trashed also, because which ever device  '/'
is in the /home directory will be part of it.

ps.  it will be a whole lot easier to use the 'disk druid' opposed to 'fdisk'
fdisk has more horse power, but is very awkward and unfriendly to use.

mike

--
phrostie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Oh I've slipped the surly bonds of dos