Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] New Installation

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] New Installation
From: phrostie <phrostie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 04:38:24 -0500

two partitions are the normal minimum.
your system partition
and your swap partition.

many like to set up a /home/ partition
there are some others but it varies.

the first two are really the min. with out getting too complex.
where you will have a problem is with booting.

NT has it's own boot loader.  it and lilo don't always like each other.
search linx gezette it had a how to on make them work together.

another solution is to create a boot floopy with either loadlin or lilo.
and use it when you use linux.

phrosetie.

Dariush Zahedi wrote:

Hi,

I have a Red Hat 5.1 which I want to install on my NT system. I have an
unused partition D: of 3.1 GB which I can utilize for this. I've gone thru
the guide but it is very confusing. Do I have to make seperate partitions
for all the components or just two, for swap and the rest? In case of
seperate partitions how should I divide the space? What you would have done
based on your experience? Can someone tell me a step by step procedure? My
system configuration is PII 350MHz, 64MB, 6.2GB IDE.

Thanks
DZ
Please only use this address <zahedi@xxxxxxx>

--