Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Upgrading to SCSI from IDE

To: "aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Upgrading to SCSI from IDE
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 19:44:55 -0500 (CDT)

I recently converted one of my drives from SCSI to IDE... backwards of
what you're doing, but essentially the same process.

Here's how I'd do it:

1) Compile your kernel with both IDE and the necessary SCSI support
2) Boot from your IDE drive as you have been--make sure you can access
your SCSI drive, etc.
3) Partition your SCSI drive as needed (create /, /home, /usr, /var, swap,
etc), and format it (mkfs -t ext2 /dev/sda1, etc... mkswap /dev/sda2,
yadda yadda yadda)
4) Create a temporary mount point:

   mkdir /new

5) Mount the SCSI drive in that new mount point, something like this:

   mount /dev/sda1 /new
   mkdir /new/home
   mkdir /new/usr
   mkdir /new/var
   mount /dev/sda3 /new/home
   mount /dev/sda4 /new/usr
   mount /dev/sda5 /new/usr

  You then have essentially two "complete" Linux filesystems, one mounted
within the other.

6) Copy everything from one filesystem to the other:

   touch /new/new       [ This should prevent the cp command from copying
                        the copy of the filesystem to itself again.... ]
   cp -a /* /new

7) Sit back, wait for it to copy

8) Shut down the computer, remove the IDE drive, set the SCSI drive
bootable.

9) Boot from a floppy, modify /etc/lilo.conf to reflect the new drive
(/dev/sda instead of /dev/hda, etc)

10) Run lilo

11) Reboot now off of your new SCSI drive

That's the basic concept I followed--you may need to modify a few of the
steps slightly (Step 6 in particular--I think I actually used tar -c | tar
-x, but same thing basically).

Does that give you something to start from?

On Wed, 11 Aug 1999, Carl B. Davis wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I presently have a RedHat Linux 5.2 server for my small office.  It is
> running a smallish ide drive.  I have acquired a much larger SCSI drive
> and also RH 6.0 copy from cheapbytes.  My first thought was that I would
> physically swap those drives out, install the adaptec SCSI card and
> reinstall linux on the SCSI drive.  I would prefer, however, to leave
> both drives in the machine at the same time.  I wasn't sure if I could
> dual boot between these drives and the different versions of linux, and
> have them installed in the same machine.  If I can, I want to ease into
> my RH 6, SCSI drive so I don't crater my whole operation.  I also am not
> anxious to devote a large block of time, and would rather be able to
> gradually work on it as time allows.  Any advice or suggestions will be
> appreciated.
>

> Carl

  Jonathan Hall  *  jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx  *  PGP public key available
 Systems Admin, Future Internet Services; Goessel, KS * (316) 367-2487
         http://www.futureks.net  *  PGP Key ID: FE 00 FD 51
         -=  Running Debian GNU/Linux 2.0, kernel 2.0.36  =-