Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Cheap ISPs?

To: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Cheap ISPs?
From: "Greg House" <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 22:33:46 -0500

From: Glenn Wiens <glenn_wiens@xxxxxxxxx>

>www.dtc.net for $9.99/mo unlimited (no tech service)

I don't see that option on their price list (web page). Here's what it says:

    "Premium Consumer Dial-Up Service
    Monthly  $29.00
    Annual $199.00 $19/Month
    2 Year $356.00 $17/Month"

Those are about the highest prices I've seen locally.

I know about mplex.net, which has some connection with dtc, with a lower
fee. Problem with them is that you have to pay for an entire year up front.
With the transitory nature of Internet businesses, I don't really like that
idea (and I don't like having to come up with $120 + a $29 "activation fee"
all at once...)

Interestingly enough, their online signup questionaire has an OS pulldown.
It lists "Real Unix" and "Unix Clone". I presume Linux would be "Unix
Clone", would a BSD flavor be "Real Unix" or is that reserved for SCO
UnixWare (who bought the name Unix from AT&T awhile back)?  I wouldn't use
the form anyhow, it's NOT SECURE! How stupid do they think their customers
are anyway?

Any other ideas?

Greg