Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: June 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Linux Network

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Linux Network
From: Steven Saner <ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 10:29:52 -0500

I would recommend that you go with UTP. This will require a network
card in each machine, a hub, and some cable. You can avaoid a hub with
coax, but its a pain to work with. As to network card, nearly anything
will do. I use cheap ISA NE2000 cards. They work fine. For the hub,
again, almost anything will do. I would suggest getting an 8 or 10
port since they doen't tend to be that much more expensive than a
smaller one and give you more expandability.

I would suggest using static IP addresses to start with and initailly
I wouldn't worry about DNS. Just setup a /etc/hosts file on each
machine. Once everything works, then you can start playing with more
fancy things as your network grows.

For more information look at the following HOWTOs. HOWTOs are your
friend:

http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/Ethernet-HOWTO.html
http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/NET-3-HOWTO.html

On Mon, Jun 28, 1999 at 09:27:30AM -0500, Sanjay Dhar wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm planning to set up a small LAN using RH 6.0 running on a Pentium 333
> Mhz with 128 MB RAM to be configured as a server. Right now I plan to have
> a couple of X-terminals connected to my server which may be later on
> expanded to a maximum of 10. This is going to be a private network for now
> i.e. it will not be connected to the Internet. This network will mainly be
> used for running common Linux applications like gcc, perl, shell
> programming, playing some games and doing a little bit of database
> programming. So the server will not be handling a lot of load. I right now
> just have my Pentium box. Could somebody help me out with the rest of the
> other hardware that I need to acquire to set up an ethernet. I'm also
> unable to decide whether to use thinnet or RJ-45(UTP) for my network. I'm
> also unsure about whether to choose between static or dynamic IP
> addressing. I would greatly appreciate any comments/suggestions. Any
> pointers to web sites telling me how to build a Linux network (from
> scratch) would be of great help.
>
> TIA
> --
> Sanjay

>       SANJAY DHAR
>
>       sxdhar@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
>       http://www.cs.twsu.edu/~sxdhar

Steven Saner                            SouthWind Internet Access, Inc.
ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                    Junior Systems Administrator
http://www2.southwind.net/~ssaner       support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                        http://www.southwind.net
                                        263-7963 Wichita  (800)525-7963