Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: June 1999:
[aclug-L] Linux network

To: ACLUG <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Linux network
From: Sanjay Dhar <sxdhar@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 09:46:25 -0500 (CDT)

Hi all,

I'm planning to set up a small LAN using RH 6.0 running on a Pentium 333
Mhz with 128 MB RAM to be configured as a server. Right now I plan to have
a couple of X-terminals connected to my server which may be later on
expanded to a maximum of 10. This is going to be a private network for now
i.e. it will not be connected to the Internet. This network will mainly be
used for running common Linux applications like gcc, perl, shell
programming, playing some games and doing a little bit of database
programming. So the server will not be handling a lot of load. I right now
just have my Pentium box. Could somebody help me out with the rest of the
other hardware that I need to acquire to set up an ethernet. I'm also
unable to decide whether to use thinnet or RJ-45(UTP) for my network. I'm
also unsure about whether to choose between static or dynamic IP
addressing. I would greatly appreciate any comments/suggestions. Any
pointers to web sites telling me how to build a Linux network (from
scratch) would be of great help.

TIA
--
Sanjay