Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: June 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] 2 quick questions

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] 2 quick questions
From: "James O. Harms" <joharms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 22:47:47 -0700

gLaNDix wrote:

> um...  it's a PCI PnP card, not ISA...  any ideas now?
>
> >On Thu, Jun 10, 1999 at 05:10:01PM -0500, gLaNDix wrote:
> >>
> >> 1.) how do i go about getting my PnP 56k modem working in linux...  i've
> got
> >> it working in NT, but would really like it in linux, too...  it's a
> Viking
> >> 56k modem (NON-winmodem)...
> >
> >> jesse

Sorry to mention this, but the Viking 56K PCI modem is a WINMODEM.
Viking lists it "for Windows-based desktop computers" ...Windows
95/98 and NT.  And like Jon said, PCI modems that can function
without windoze are VERY hard to find.

Remember, a real modem has the circuits necessary to function as an
independent piece of hardware in DOS.  If it can't work in DOS, it's
not a real one.  Modems that depend on programming in windoze to
replace hardware are known by the generic term "winmodem".

The tradename WINMODEM is a line of modems from 3Com/U.S.Robotics - and
these (you guessed it) also depend on programming in windoze to replace
hardware.