Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: June 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] 2 quick questions

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] 2 quick questions
From: Steven Saner <ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 17:46:27 -0500

On Thu, Jun 10, 1999 at 05:10:01PM -0500, gLaNDix wrote:
> 2 quick questions:
>
> 1.) how do i go about getting my PnP 56k modem working in linux...  i've got
> it working in NT, but would really like it in linux, too...  it's a Viking
> 56k modem (NON-winmodem)...

If it were me I would see if you can turn off the PnP feature on the
modem and just configure it has a standard serial port. Some PnP
modems have a jumper that will do that. If you can't do that then you
need to use isapnp (I assume it is an ISA card). You probably want to
look at the Plug-and-Play HOWTO:

http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/Plug-and-Play-HOWTO.html

Basicly you need to run the command:

        pnpdump > isapnp.conf

That will create a isapnp.conf file which you may have to edit a bit
to get the setting right. You put that file in /etc. Then you need to
run the isapnp utility at startup to configure the device.

I did the above with a Sound Blaster AWE 64 and it worked okay. You
might look at that HOWTO for some information as well.

> 2.) i noticed on many / all 56k modem boxes it says we are limited to only
> getting 53kb/sec by the FCC or something....  what's up w/ that?  if that is
> the limit, why make 56k cards?  why not 53k cards?

The modem technology works up to 56K, but to do so it must generate a
signal that exceeds the power limits set by the FCC. To get within
those regulations you ideally will connect at 53K. Actually you will
be lucky to connect that fast. 56K is a myth :-)

> jesse

Steven Saner                            SouthWind Internet Access, Inc.
ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                    Junior Systems Administrator
http://www2.southwind.net/~ssaner       support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                        http://www.southwind.net
                                        263-7963 Wichita  (800)525-7963