Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 1999:
[aclug-L] Mounting floppy - owner and group

To: "Air Capital Linux Users Group" <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Mounting floppy - owner and group
From: "Troy Wolf" <troy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 11:33:26 -0500

I haven't received help on my "Directory Rights" post, but in further research, I've come up with more questions:

Here I repeat my last post:
I have a business need to be able ftp directly to a MSDOS floppy.

I setup an account called misclc.  Then I created the directory /home/misclc/floppy using the command 'mkdir -m 0777 /home/misclc/floppy'.  Next I mounted the floppy using 'mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /home/misclc/floppy'  This gives me full rights to the floppy even when through ftp using the misclc account.  It worked once.  Now everytime I mount the floppy, the rights on the directory become 'drxwrxwr w'  (I lose the write option for others.)  This keeps me from copying files to the floppy during an ftp session.  I can unmount the floppy, delete my 'floppy' directory, recreate it with full rights, but when I mount again, I lose the write for others again.  help.

Also, I haven't figured out the method to alter directory rights after creation.  Can this be done?

And now I'm wondering why I can only mount the floppy as root even though I am using the 'user' option in fstab?  I think I might get the functionality I describe above if I can mount the floppy AS the user misclc INSTEAD of root.  I'm not sure, but I was attempting from that angle and got stopped again.

Troy Wolf
Work: 636-5055 x241